About this Blog...

I am an average 39 year old man who has had a gradually expanding waistline since I was 30. I recently found out I was officially obese with a BMI of 30+. THIS HAS TO CHANGE... but why are diet plans, clubs, meals, gyms, health foods etc all so expensive to use and follow!? Obviously a lot of people out there are trying to make a fast buck from other peoples suffering. It must be possible to lose weight and not lose money in the process? This Blog will record my attempts to battle the bulge without breaking the bank! Hopefully my experiences will be of interest to other men in the same boat!

Wednesday 4 February 2009

Diet Day +30 (BMI 28.41, 15 pounds lost overall)

Another 1lb lost taking the total loss to 1st 1lb (15lbs). Still a way to go before I've lost 10% of my starting weight which is my next milestone at 21lbs lost but I'm getting there.

My target is to get to a BMI of 26.11 by the first week of March. Plotting my BMI scores since I began the diet in Jan shows I am just about on course for my target although I hit a plateau recently. Thankfully weight loss has started again, it has slowed down somewhat since I started but I have a hunch it may speed up slightly. What most people don't realise with dieting is that it isn't a smooth curve of weight loss, its jagged, since your body's energy requirements vary as well as your diet. Of course if you did exactly the same exercise everyday and ate the same thing you might well see a smoother line in decreasing weight but in the real world that's not possible.

Once I hit a BMI of 26.11 I then begin the 2nd phase of my diet which is to go down to a BMI around 24, which is under the overweight limit of 25.

Long term I'd like to get to 22.5 which is where I was in my 20's. Of course in those days I was going to the gym 4 days a week and cycling 50-60 miles a week to work and back, so to get to that level I'll have to start some form of proper exercise programme. My thinking is that once I get to a BMI of around 25 I'll feel psychologically able to do exercise, at the moment I still feel a little self conscious due to "wobbly" bits and carry all this extra weight around is knackering!

No comments:

Post a Comment