About this Blog...

I am an average 39 year old man who has had a gradually expanding waistline since I was 30. I recently found out I was officially obese with a BMI of 30+. THIS HAS TO CHANGE... but why are diet plans, clubs, meals, gyms, health foods etc all so expensive to use and follow!? Obviously a lot of people out there are trying to make a fast buck from other peoples suffering. It must be possible to lose weight and not lose money in the process? This Blog will record my attempts to battle the bulge without breaking the bank! Hopefully my experiences will be of interest to other men in the same boat!

Monday 2 February 2009

Diet Day +29 (BMI 28.55, 14 pounds lost overall)

Had a slow week, a bit up and down. The odd pint of lager, peanuts, the usual stuff, I am acutely aware of how the slightest variation from the diet results in weight gain or a halt in weight loss. Since yesterday I have followed closely the diet principles and was delighted to find that this morning I weighed 14st 3lbs, exactly 1 stone lost since I started the diet on the 5th Jan. My plan was to lose 2 stones or 28lbs in 2 months, I am bang on course with the halfway point being tomorrow.

A key aspect to this dieting succeeding is not eating snacks. My big downfall is peanuts. Although relatively high in protein and low in carbohydrate in large volumes they pack a calorie and carb punch, just the kind of thing I do not need. Nuts are permissable on the diet but only in small quantities, since they are very moreish I intend just to avoid them altogether.

Beer is another problem. Finding the carbohydrate and calorie content of the various commercial lagers is a nightmare. It seems a pint of lager is around 200 cals and 17-20 grammes of carbohydrate, Guinness (my fave) is 18g of carbs and 200+ cals. As I am trying to keep daily intake to 20g of carbs and 1,200 cals having just 1 pint of either lager or Guinness results in me going way over my allowances added to my food intake. Not having carbs in food is crazy and unappetising and cutting calories to have more beer is nuts so I'll just have to stay off the beer until I hit my ideal weight, then I can manage my weight as I am now beginning to understand the cause and effect of what you eat and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment